Victorious as a role-playing game is based predominantly in super heroics in the context of Victorian era Steam technology. At first glance, this seems to be inappropriate to a science fiction show like the BBC’s Blake’s 7 (1978-1981). However, I believe the Siege Engine™ is flexible enough to handle a sci-fi setting. Furthermore, a Victorious Grim/Chaos setting is ideal to emulate the dark future of Roj Blake and his band of freedom fighters battling an oppressive Terran Federation.
Details on the Blakes 7 universe
Below are the few changes and additions to the Victorious rules to play characters in the Blake’s 7 (B7) universe. As with any suggestions, it is the Genteel Magistrate of your game who has the final authority for whatever is or isn’t used in his game.
1.0 Character Generation:
Attributes are rolled as normal, with one attribute chosen at start to reflect the character’s prime attribute. The Intelligence score bonus +1 is the total of starting skills the character can choose.
1.2 Powers & Skills
Instead of 3 power slots, the character gets 2 extra skill slots and 2 additional primes to be chosen from their remaining attributes. Primes cannot stack, and one of these will be needed for the chosen class (see below).
In the Human space of Blake’s 7, all humans are listed by genetic and psychological type into five grades; Alpha, Beta, Gamma, Delta, and Epsilon. The Alphas and the Betas are considered the most capable, and usually get the best jobs. Gammas tend to get lower level management or clerical jobs, and Deltas are the rough working class of human society. Epsilons are considered mentally deficient, and get the least pleasant jobs to do. These jobs are the types where using a robot would be too expensive; since Epsilons are cheaper than robots!
Players can choose their grade, and gain attribute bonuses and penalties as noted below.
- Alpha: +1 to Intelligence, +1 to Wisdom, -1 to Strength
- Beta: +1 to Intelligence and +1 to Charisma, -1 to Strength
- Gamma: +1 to Constitution and +1 to Wisdom, -1 to Charisma
- Delta: +1 to Strength and +1 to Dexterity, -1 to Charisma
- Epsilon: +2 to Strength and +1 to Constitution, -2 to Intelligence
Depending on your grade, you also have restrictions as to what classes you can have.
- Alphas: Dilettante, Functionary, Rebel, Technician and Trooper (officer)
- Beta: Functionary, Pirate, Rebel, Technician and Trooper (NCO’s)
- Gamma: Functionary, Pirate, Rebel, Scavenger, and Trooper
- Delta: Functionary, Pirate, Rebel, Scavenger, and Trooper
- Epsilon: Functionary, Rebel, Scavenger, and Trooper
The next posts will cover the skills and seven classes available in the dark future of Blakes 7!